The LNBA and NRCA missions are as follows.
The mission of the corporation shall be to preserve the waters of the Lower Neuse Basin River through innovative and cost effective pollution reduction strategies by:
- Forming a coalition of units of local government, public and private agencies, and other interested and affected communities, organizations, businesses, and individuals to secure and pool financial resources and expertise;
- Collecting and analyzing information and data and developing, evaluating and implementing strategies to reduce, control, and manage discharge;
- Providing accurate technical, management, regulatory, and legal recommendations regarding the implementation of strategies and appropriate effluent limitations on discharges into the lower portion of the Neuse River.
The mission of the Neuse River Compliance Association (hereinafter called the “Association”) shall be to preserve water quality in the Neuse River and more specifically promote and achieve compliance with Total Maximum Daily Load (“TMDL”) requirements for total nitrogen (“TN”) at the Neuse River Estuary as such requirements apply to point source dischargers who choose to join the Association by:
- Qualifying as a group compliance association under N.C. Gen. Stat. § 143-215.1(C3) and 15A NCAC 2B .0234(9), Neuse River Basin – Nutrient Sensitive Waters Management Strategy: Wastewater Discharge Requirements.
- Forming and promoting a coalition of local governments, public and private agencies, corporations and other interested entities that currently hold National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permits (“NPDES Permits”) to discharge in the Neuse River Basin or have held such a permit and currently hold an Estuary Allocation to work collectively to reduce their discharge of TN.
- Collecting and analyzing information and data and developing, evaluating and implementing strategies to reduce, control and manage discharge of pollutants in the Neuse River Basin, particularly TN.
- Developing a framework to encourage cost-effective, creative solutions for development or enhancement of treatment facilities by members to ensure individual and group compliance with the TMDL at the Neuse River Estuary and with other TN regulatory limits established within the Neuse River Basin.
- Creating mechanisms to encourage and facilitate cost-effective approaches to transferring or trading among members, and with non-members or non-point sources when feasible and beneficial, of portions of their individual TN allocations so as to maximize the effectiveness and equitably distribute the costs of TN reduction measures among members.
- Creating binding mechanisms as incentives to members to reduce their TN discharge and comply with their individual TN allocations and creating mechanisms to penalize or remove members for failure to reduce TN discharged or to otherwise comply with these By-Laws.
- Providing accurate technical management, regulatory and legal recommendations regarding the implementation of strategies and appropriate effluent limitations on discharges of TN and other pollutants into the Neuse River Basin.
- Developing a framework to educate the public concerning the importance of limiting pollution and the positive role that the Association and its members have played in the TN reduction strategy.
- Interacting with the North Carolina General Assembly, the Environmental Management Commission (the “Commission”), and other agencies and entities in developing and adopting policies, laws and rules regarding TN management and limitations in the Neuse River Basin, and participating in legal and administrative procedures affecting such policies, laws and rules or otherwise affecting, directly or indirectly, the Association or its members.